Sunday, March 15, 2009

hmph!

I am challenging myself to play around with the settings on my camera more. I have the manual lens thing down well enough ( not the best) to start thinking about ISO which I believe is the light sensitivity and to find out exactly what the hell f stop means to me. I also just want to shoot manually all together. I am overwhelmed at this point because I am the type of person who is like go all the way or go home! When I am around all these people with a shit ton of talent it almost makes me feel inferior, is that word I am looking for? Probably sort of but not...... any who.........

1 comment:

  1. ISO is the equivalent of film speed. The lower the film speed, the more grain in the photo (very similar to resolution or number of megapixels on a camera). However with film (or ISO settings) the larger the number (400, 800, 1600, etc.) the LESS grain there is... but because there is less, the grain specks are larger, causing more contrast and making you able to use a faster shutter speed in lower light. The only problem with this is that you lose perceived resolution with less grain. At 800 ISO, you can shoot something in lamp light at say 1/60 of a second whereas on 100 ISO, you'd have to shoot at 1/4 of a second to get the same exposure. Photos are much smoother at the lower ISO settings, but can be played around with to manage all light situations and your desired effect. Sometimes you may WANT higher contrast images for effect... Sometimes you may WANT to shoot something in the dark that is impossible to get right at a slower speed. Understanding how it all works just gives you the proper tools to manage taking good photographs in any lighting situation. It takes practice and is worth every second.

    Aperture is a lesson for another day :)

    ReplyDelete